Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Strong Woman


Disney has finally come out with a black princess, about time. I must say I have mixed feels about it. I know that there is a lot of controversy surrounding this issue. I think that all children should have access to a variety of role models that are positive and diverse, and of course that they can relate to. If that means, this doll looks like me so be it but I guess my issue has to do with the “reality” or human likeness of any of these dolls. It is similar to the Barbie debate and how her body type is totally unrealistic. The same is true of the Disney Princesses; none of them are based in reality. It seems long overdue that Disney finally included a black princess but I think Disney’s attempt at diversity is weak at best. I know that they have very skilled, talented artist but all of the Princesses are essentially the same with different color hair, skin tone, and outfits. Even Jasmine who is suppose to be Arab looks like the other Princesses. The only real variations I see are in Pocahontas, and to a lesser extent Mulan.

But then I have to ask myself – Should they be based in reality? They are cartoons. I know I should be happy that Disney is making an attempt to create strong, independent female character and that we have come a long was from Sleeping Beauty but what can I say, I know they are capable of doing more, and I feel a duty as a woman to ask for more.

0 comments: