Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Nursing School Racket

I currently submitted my application to nursing school, and being me I am freaking out about it. So, I started looking into a Plan B. CU Denver, where I applied is the only school in Denver that offers a BS in Nursing, which is what I want/need to get to where I want to go, which is a Masters in Midwifery. There is one school called the Denver Nursing school that claims to offer a BS program. It is an accelerated program, a two-year program, that will cost a total of $41,000 for both years, which is substantially more than CU Denver. This is a sort of private school for nurses... but I look further and under the FAQs I find:

Can I advance my degree after graduating from DSN?

Yes. DSN has an articulation agreement with the University of Phoenix that allows transfer of DSN credits toward the ADN to BSN program. www.phoenix.edu/corp/kacrites

or...


This doesn't even make sense, if they offer a BS, and it is legit why would you need to go to through the University of Phoenix, wouldn't you be able to go anywhere? They are still going through the certification process; which seems weird. What happens to all the current students if they are rejected. It seems like they are taking advantage of students eager to become a nurse. The CU Denver program is very competitive and the community college associates/RN certificate program has an extremely long waiting list - like 2 years last I heard. It seems so sad that a person could pay $41,000 and not have a the possibility to advance their degree, without having to retake all of the courses at a bona fide school. Of course, there are students who graduate from this program and become certified RNs and never look back but this seriously seems like a racket to me.

0 comments: