Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Compact

I have now heard a couple stories on the radio about ‘The Compact’ originally started by a group in San Francisco with a few basic principles:

• To go beyond recycling in trying to counteract the negative global environmental and socioeconomic impacts of disposable consumer culture and to support local businesses, farms, etc. -- a step that, we hope, inherits the revolutionary impulse of the Mayflower Compact.
• To reduce clutter and waste in our homes (as in trash Compact-er).
• To simplify our lives (as in Calm-pact)

They achieve those basic principles by

#1 Don't buy new products of any kind (from stores, web sites, etc.)
#2 Borrow, barter, or buy used.

Their blog has a lot more details about what is okay, what are some exceptions, etc.
I am not sure that I am ready or willing to take the full plunge but I have noticed since I found an awesome Goodwill that I am shopping there more and more and buy new less and less. I am finding that this could potentially have a huge impact on my budget. I am progressively cheaper. For instance I find myself saying; that would cost $3 at Goodwill.



Even when things should be no-brainers I found myself planning on buying new. The most recent example is I need a TI-83 graphing calculator for the stats class I am taking this summer. I am currently holding $50 of staples rewards cash and was going to dish out the additional $30. A woman in class mentioned she found hers on ebay for $25, so although I am not very good at winning ebay auctions, I did find one on Craig’s List for $30. It’s about 25 minutes away but well worth it. There are probably a ton of these used one semester by a once college student and will be buried in someone’s closet for the next decade. I know I am one of them; unfortunately I seemed to have misplaced mine. Now I can spend my $50 at Staples for fun stuff.

Things like Freecycle, ebay and Craig’s list are making it much easier to buy used. I am starting to get a little annoyed at ebay. It seems as though there are people who are intentionally driving up the prices. I don’t think these people are actually purchasers. The other day I noticed a user bidding on several auctions I was watching. Who needs more that one graphing calculator? I really hope these people are not placed by the seller that would really stink. If you want more money, just increase the minimum bid. On a side note, I know I could go to eBay and find the Pyrex of my dreams but for Pyrex in particular the hunt makes me happy.
However, I do find myself wanting new things, not necessarily new but specific things like I have been eyeing this pair of Saucony fashion sneakers. I know I don’t need them, but I really want them.
My list of exceptions:

• Bras, underwear, socks
• Running shoes/sneakers
• Work-put attire
• Food, drink, of course
• I think professional services are a no-brainer; plumber, mechanic, message, etc The Compact website mentions professional services and says to not over do it. Not that I get regular pedicures or massages but I also feel that doing something good for the environment shouldn’t be a punishment. If you want to get a message every week, it’s your money, and I think it fundamentally abides the compact because you really aren’t consuming anything, a couple tablespoons of old maybe.
• I do buy a lot of kitchen supplies; glasses, plates, I collect vintage Pyrex but if I really needed something specific i.e. bundt cake pan, I might check around a few thrift stores that I go to regularly and are in the neighborhood and would hope to find one but there is a point when your effort in finding the item has a bigger carbon effect on buying something new.
• Yard/home remodel stuff. I am in the midst of a home remodel and everything in our house, including our yards will be new. I hope that I will be able to buy used/recycle ie we are using a tree we cut down to make wood chips in our backyard. We are salvaging our wood floors and a claw-foot tub but not much else. Most everything will be bought new. But in some ways that is good i.e. new toilets that are low-flush or have the #1/#2 option, buying new more efficient appliances, weather proofing windows and doors, etc.
• Ink, toner, office supplies, craft. More than anything I don’t even know where you would buy these items used. Occasionally, I see scissors, yard, etc at the thrift store but never really the right things…

I am sure I will have more exceptions…

0 comments: